We southerners love our biscuits and can eat them anytime. The best ones are buttermilk biscuits made with White Lily flour. I've eaten homemade biscuits my whole life and no others compare. Here is a great recipe that I use often.
3 cups all-purpose flour (White Lily preferably)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Crisco shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat your oven to 450°F.
2. Add baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl. Add Crisco slowly until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined. If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Knead the dough until it is the consistency of clay.
5. Shape the biscuits by hand or use a cookie cutter.
6. Place the biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for about 10-12 minutes- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom.
Do not over bake.
Note: Handle the dough as little as possible or you will have tough biscuits.
Note 2: Also, when I'm short on time, I make 'drop biscuits'; taking large tablespoons of dough and dropping them onto the cookie sheet. They taste great either way!
Note 3: You can also add cheese, garlic, and other spices to the biscuits