Thursday, January 14, 2010

Daily Routine for Kids

My husband and I have been working on a new daily routine for the girls since we have moved. It's actually been an easier adjustment for them than it has for me. Since I drive them to school and pick them up, they get to sleep later and get home earlier than they did when they rode the bus. In addition, they get to eat breakfast at home instead of at school and they really like that (plus I can make sure that they are eating well).


Anyway, back to the schedule issues. My girls are messy, very, very messy, especially Ems. I'm not sure why, but they are. At the old place, I would go into the bathroom after they had left for school and it looked like a cyclone had hit it; hair dryers and straightening irons still out, clothes on the floor, and toothpaste and hair in the sink. It was definitely not the first thing I wanted to see in the morning. So, I am bound and determined that it will not happen in our new apartment. They have to clean up after themselves in the morning (especially the hair and toothpaste in the sink), no ifs, ands, or buts. I can deal with a dish in the sink instead of in the dishwasher, but the bathroom is another story. Thus the Daily Routine was born. Here it is in all its glory.


MORNING:

  • Wake up and Make Bed
  • Get Completely Dressed; Put Laundry into Basket
  • Fix Hair and Makeup for the Day
  • Clean up Bathroom Counters/Dresser Top
  • Eat Breakfast; Rinse Dishes and Put in Dishwasher; Make sure counter is clean
  • Brush Teeth, Wash Hands, Make sure sink is clean (hair free)
  • Be ready to go at 7:20a


AFTER SCHOOL:

  • Coats, Shoes, Backpacks put away
  • Snack
  • Homework done; Placed back in backpack when completed
  • Put away clean clothes in room
  • Play time
  • Dinner
  • Daily Chores
  • Pick out Clothes for Next day


BEDTIME:

  • Showers; Put dirty clothes in Basket
  • Make sure rooms are clean
  • Brush Teeth; Make sure bathroom is clean
  • Chat with Mom and Dad
  • Put Coat, Shoes, Backpack at top of Stairs
  • Bedtime!

This is how they left their room this morning. I can't believe I'm actually showing this since it's embarrassing, but at least you know what I'm dealing with here. And, this isn't even showing all of their room! Alex likes to complain about it because she feels that she doesn't need one, however, she's the first to not make her bed or leave the straightening iron out. I'll update you and let you know if it works.


Tomorrow we'll get into the chore list and what Nate and I are trying to implement in regards to their electronic Christmas presents from Santa. It goes along with this routine.

Have a good day!


Update: They picked up their room and made the bed when they got home from school and it took 5-10 minutes. They did a great job!

4 comments:

sheila chandra said...

It's a great idea to give them a routine, to help them understand what's expected. Do bear in mind that teenagers brains completely re-organise over a period of years in order to facilitate the transition from the kind of brain they needed in order to learn basic things like language and motor skills, to the kind of logic and judgement and altruism they'll need as adults. The re-organising causes them to be emotionally volatile, and to be chaotic with possessions. To some degree they can't help it! So do cut them a little slack sometimes..

Tara said...

Thanks for the information, Sheila! It is definitely true that the changes going on in their brains and bodies wreak havoc on their emotions! While I don't mind the occasional messy room or items left out in the bathroom, the daily cyclones are something that I'm trying to do away with. Also, this routine is a guide and doesn't have to be followed exactly, though sometimes I think it would be nice if it were. ;-)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

The Aldi Mom said...

Like the new layout! I redid mine last week but not 100% happy with it, but whatever! Lol. Going to try and buy mommylivesonline.com when I get my student loan. :)

Tara said...

Hey Kristal! I hope you do buy it, your blog has a lot of great information and I like checking it out. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails