Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Guilty Verdict

This is a case that I've been interested in for awhile since it's from my hometown. It brings tears to my eyes and I feel so sick and saddened for the families of the Channon and Chris. This is what happened, to quote James H. Lilley:


"On Saturday January 6, 2007 Hugh Christopher Newsom, age 23 and Channon Gail Christian, age 21, both students at the University of Tennessee went out on a date. They were driving in Channon's Toyota 4-Runner when they were carjacked at gunpoint. Suddenly the crime turned far more savage than an armed car theft. Chris and Channon were kidnapped and driven to 2316 Chipman Street where they were forced into the home at gunpoint."


I will let you read the rest of this here, because it's very graphic and I hesitate to put it on my blog. However, I had to make mention of it because it's weighed very heavily on my heart. I often wonder why more information on this terrible slaying isn't in the national news when we hear of less terrible crimes daily. Why is that?


Needless to say, these two people were tortured, repeatedly, in ways that I could never even dream of. It brings tears to my eyes as I write about it. However, finally, after two and a half years, one of the main men has been guilty by a jury of his peers. Many people in the Knoxville community are hoping for the death penalty and I honestly can't blame them. What Letalvius Cobbins, his brother, and three of their friends did to these two innocent people is

just...scary. It really is.


For more information on the verdict, please go here.


For those of you who are Christians, please pray for the families of these two students and for those of you who aren't, please keep them in your thoughts.


Give extra hugs and love to your family and friends today. They are with you and they could be taken away so easily.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails